19 Apr How To Calculate TikTok Engagement Rate [UPDATED 2023]
What Is TikTok
TikTok is one of the most downloaded social video apps with the highest traction ever – beating Instagram, Facebook and Snapchat – that allows users to share short videos.
TikTok is an app that features stickers, filters, and augmented reality (AR) to create engaging and catchy videos to share with friends and millions of other users. TikTok is famous for its virality and amazing metrics that a video can generate.
In a rapidly evolving digital landscape, TikTok has emerged as a force to be reckoned with. Originating from the Chinese tech company, ByteDance, TikTok took the world by storm, becoming an essential platform for short-form video content that engages, entertains, and educates. But beyond its reputation as the go-to app for dance challenges and comedic sketches, TikTok presents a treasure trove of opportunities for companies seeking to elevate their brand visibility and connect with newer, dynamic audiences. One of the most potent tools in their arsenal? TikTok influencers.
So, what exactly is TikTok? At its core, TikTok is a social media platform that allows users to create, share, and discover short video clips, typically set to popular music tracks. The app boasts a range of editing tools and effects, enabling creators to produce captivating and innovative content, all from the comfort of their smartphones. Since its international release in 2018, it has amassed over a billion users worldwide, making it one of the fastest-growing social networks of our time.
TikTok’s audience is diverse, but it’s particularly popular among Gen Z and young millennials. Its unique algorithm, which pushes content based on user interaction rather than just following, means that even those with a small follower count have the potential for viral success. This democratization of content discovery sets TikTok apart from its peers and is one of the many reasons for its meteoric rise.
But where do companies fit into the TikTok matrix? Enter the realm of TikTok influencers.
Influencer marketing isn’t a new concept. From Instagram to YouTube, brands have long collaborated with individuals who have amassed a significant and engaged following on social media platforms. TikTok, with its enormous and engaged user base, offers fertile ground for influencer partnerships. TikTok influencers are individuals who have built substantial audiences on the platform due to their unique content, charisma, or niche expertise. Collaborating with these influencers provides companies with a golden opportunity to tap into a ready audience, drive brand awareness, and even stimulate sales.
What Is The Engagement Rate
Engagement Rate is a number expressed as a percentage that shows how much engagement a content received. It is usually calculated as the sum of likes, comments (and any other social activity such as shares) and divided by the number of followers. For TikTok, you have to divide by views instead of followers.
The higher the Engagement Rate, the better the engagement generated by a particular influencer on specific content. It is a crucial number to look at when selecting an influencer on TikTok.
The Importance of Calculating Engagement Rate on TikTok
TikTok, the video-sharing social networking service, has become a platform where creativity knows no bounds. From dance challenges to cooking tutorials, the platform has become a hub for content creators and marketers. But how do we measure success on TikTok? This is where the calculation of engagement rate comes into play.
Understanding Engagement Rate
In simple terms, the engagement rate is a metric that shows the level of interaction a particular content piece garners from the audience. On TikTok, this includes likes, comments, shares, and saves. Engagement rate is typically calculated by taking the total engagement (likes, comments, shares, and saves) and dividing it by the number of views, then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage.
TikTok Average Engagement Rate
We analyzed 10,000 TikTok accounts and calculated the average engagement rate for different followers’ ranges. The average engagement rate for these TikTok accounts was calculated in this way: (likes + comments + shares + saves) / views for the last 30 videos.
You can also compare TikTok to Instagram Engagement Rate.
|AVERAGE ENGAGEMENT RATE
<a href="https://theinfluencermarketingfactory.com/how-to-calculate-tiktok-engagement-rate/"><img src="https://theinfluencermarketingfactory.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/tiktok-engagement-rate-2023-average.jpg" alt="tiktok average engagement rate"></a>
|100k – 500k
|500k – 1M
|1M – 5M
|5M – 10M
<a href="https://theinfluencermarketingfactory.com/how-to-calculate-tiktok-engagement-rate/"><img src="https://theinfluencermarketingfactory.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/tiktok-average-engagement.jpg" alt="tiktok average engagement rate"></a>
How To Calculate TikTok Engagement Rate
The formula is pretty easy and it can be written as the following:
[(Number of likes + number of comments + number of shares + number of saves) / number of views] X 100
An example would be:
[(1,300,000 + 1,991 + 18,400 + 189,900) / 13,900,000] X 100 = 10.86% for a specific content (see below)
And in case you want to calculate TikTok Engagement Rate for an entire profile you can take the overall hearts and comments of the last 20 content uploaded and divide them by the number of combined views and multiply by 100.
Why Engagement Rate Matters on TikTok
- Identifying Successful Content: By closely monitoring engagement rates, content creators and brands can identify what resonates with their audience. Are dance videos driving more engagement? Or is it the funny skits? Knowing what works helps in creating more targeted and engaging content.
- Improving Brand Awareness: For businesses, a higher engagement rate often translates to greater brand visibility. It signifies that the content is not only reaching the audience but also engaging them, turning casual viewers into potential customers.
- Algorithm Compatibility: TikTok’s algorithm favors content with higher engagement rates. Understanding how to improve these rates can lead to a broader reach and potentially viral content.
- Aiding Collaboration and Sponsorship Opportunities: High engagement rates can attract other creators and brands for collaboration. Brands often look for influencers with strong engagement rates as it’s a sign of an authentic and engaged following.
- Cost-Effective Marketing Analysis: Calculating engagement rates is a cost-effective way to analyze the performance of marketing campaigns. It helps in adjusting strategies and making informed decisions without having to invest in expensive tools or professional services.
- Spotting Winning Content: Engagement rates act as a compass for content creators and businesses, pointing them in the direction of what truly clicks with their audience. Be it dance routines or humorous skits, identifying what garners attention aids in sculpting more captivating content.
- Augmenting Brand Recognition: For corporates and budding businesses alike, soaring engagement rates can be synonymous with amplified brand visibility. Such engagement indicates that the content isn’t merely reaching its audience but is truly striking a chord, potentially converting casual browsers into prospective consumers.
- Harmony with TikTok’s Algorithm: The platform’s underlying algorithm has a penchant for content that basks in high engagement. Grasping how to elevate these metrics can pave the way for wider audience reach and even set the stage for viral sensations.
- Fostering Collaborative Ventures and Sponsorships: A robust engagement metric can serve as a beacon for other creators and brands. Influencers boasting of substantial engagement rates are often the top picks for brands, as they exude authenticity and a genuinely engaged follower base.
- Economical Marketing Insight: The art of computing engagement rates emerges as an economically savvy method to gauge the success rate of marketing endeavors. It provides a vantage point to recalibrate strategies and make data-driven choices, eliminating the need for pricy analytical tools or expert consultations.
How to Improve Engagement Rate on TikTok
Understanding the importance of engagement rate is just the first step; improving it is where the real challenge lies. Here’s a brief guide:
- Know Your Audience: Crafting content that appeals to your specific audience will naturally lead to higher engagement.
- Post Regularly: Consistency is key. Regular posting helps in keeping the audience engaged and coming back for more.
- Encourage Interaction: Asking questions or creating interactive content like polls can foster community and boost engagement.
- Utilize Trending Hashtags and Sounds: Leveraging what’s trending can increase the discoverability of your content.
- Analyze and Adjust: Keep an eye on your engagement rates and be prepared to tweak your strategies as needed.
- Learn from the best: Have a look at campaigns that worked really well and let other successful campaigns inspire you
- Audience Acumen: Delve deep into understanding your target demographic. Tailored content that resonates with them is a surefire way to witness spiked engagement.
- Commit to Consistency: Regularity is the linchpin of engagement. A consistent posting schedule keeps your audience in the loop, enticing them to return for fresh content.
- Stoke Interaction: Propel interaction by posing questions or weaving interactive elements such as polls. This not only amplifies community spirit but can significantly heighten engagement levels.
- Harness Trending Elements: Employ trending hashtags and sounds to your advantage. They serve as gateways to enhance the visibility quotient of your content.
- Continual Analysis and Refinement: Stay attuned to your engagement dynamics. A proactive approach in modifying your strategies based on real-time data can work wonders.
- Glean from the Maestros: Take a leaf out of the playbook of successful campaigns. Let the triumphs of others fuel your creative journey on TikTok.
Remember, in the bustling realm of TikTok, engagement is not just a metric but a testament to the content’s relevance and resonance. And with the right strategies, it’s a number that can always be nudged upwards.
Here’s how companies can harness the power of TikTok influencers:
- Targeted Brand Exposure: With influencers specializing in everything from beauty and fashion to cooking and DIY crafts, companies can pinpoint creators whose audience aligns with their target demographic, ensuring that their products or services gain exposure among those most likely to be interested.
- Authentic Promotion: TikTok’s spontaneous and genuine nature means that overtly promotional content can often fall flat. Influencers, with their deep understanding of the platform’s dynamics, can present products in a more organic, authentic manner, leading to better audience reception.
- Engaging Ad Campaigns: Unlike traditional advertisements, influencer-created content is interactive and engaging. Companies can collaborate on challenges, giveaways, or interactive campaigns, encouraging audience participation and amplifying reach.
- Insights and Feedback: Influencers, with their finger on the pulse of their audience, can provide companies with invaluable feedback on products or campaigns. This two-way communication channel can be leveraged for product development or refining marketing strategies.
- Affordability: While top-tier influencers command premium rates, TikTok, with its vast array of creators, means that companies can find influencers that fit a range of budgets, from micro-influencers with a few thousand followers to mega influencers with millions.
In conclusion, TikTok, with its unique blend of music, creativity, and community, offers a fresh perspective on the world of social media. For companies willing to delve into its vibrant ecosystem and collaborate with its influencers, the rewards – in terms of brand visibility, engagement, and potential sales – can be immense. As with any marketing strategy, success lies in understanding the platform’s nuances, selecting the right influencers, and crafting campaigns that resonate with the audience.
If you are interested in getting started with TikTok, you can contact our TikTok Influencer Marketing Agency.
The power of TikTok in shaping opinions and building brands is undeniable. However, success on this platform isn’t just about creating content; it’s about understanding and leveraging metrics like engagement rate.
Calculating and analyzing the engagement rate on TikTok is crucial for content creators, influencers, and brands. It serves as a roadmap to understanding what the audience desires, what content performs best, and how to align strategies for growth and success.
In a digital age where every like and comment counts, staying attuned to engagement metrics is not just wise but necessary. It’s a compass guiding TikTokers through the ever-changing landscape of social media, ensuring that creativity and connection continue to thrive.
Interested in TikTok for Influencer Marketing?